9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
This class is designed to meet the construction standards of November 2010 for Qualified Rigger and Signal Person and give you the knowledge on the subject matter for your company to consider you a competent person.
This program will cover all the aspects of rigging and rigging equipment including proper usage of below the hook devices such as:
• Chain and wire rope slings
• Shackles and eye bolts
• Employing safe lifting angles
• Load weight calculation procedures necessary to make a safe lift
• Individual and group rigging
OSHA requires in both general industry and construction usages that rigging equipment is properly used and inspected on a daily basis or more often as service conditions warrant. Construction standards state that inspections are to be done by a competent person designated by the employer.
• Rigging Inspection and Safety
• Chains: Inspection
• Chains: Handling and Care
• Preventing Wire Rope Failure
• Wire Rope: Inspection
• Wire Rope Handling and Care
• Wire Rope: Brakes
• Natural Fiber Rope: Inspection
• Synthetic Fiber Rope: Defects
• Slings, Hooks and Shackles
• Cranes Summary
• Proper Signaling Procedures
• Importance of rigging inspection and safety.
• Procedures for inspecting chains.
• Best practices for chain handling and care.
• How to prevent wire rope failure.
• Distinguish between abrasion, corrosion, and diameter reduction in wire rope.
• Distinguish between crushing, shock loading, and high stranding in wire rope.
• Distinguish between different types of brakes in wire rope.
• Procedures for inspecting natural fiber rope.
• Types of defects that can occur in synthetic fiber rope.
• Procedures for inspecting slings, hooks, and shackles.
• Describe basic safety precautions for working on scaffolds.
• Basic safety precautions for using ladders.
• Basic safety precautions for using cranes.
Lunch provided by the Safety Council.
Cancellations less than 24 hours in advance and no-shows are responsible for the full registration fees. Substitutions may be made at any time. Non-members must prepay to register.